The Hidden Dangers of Toxic Cleaning Products
We all want to keep our homes clean and sanitary, but many of the cleaning products we use daily can be harmful to our health. Toxic cleaning products can contain a variety of chemicals that can cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, and even cancer.
Here are some of the most common harmful chemicals found in cleaning products and the health risks associated with them:
- Chlorine bleach is a common ingredient in many cleaning products. It can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Inhaling bleach fumes can cause coughing, shortness of breath, and chest pain. In high concentrations, bleach can be fatal.
- Ammonia is another common ingredient in cleaning products. It can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Inhaling ammonia fumes can cause coughing, shortness of breath, and chest pain. In high concentrations, ammonia can be fatal.
- Disinfectants are designed to kill germs. However, some disinfectants can also be harmful to human health. For example, some disinfectants contain formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen.
- Air fresheners are designed to make our homes smell better. However, many air fresheners contain harmful chemicals, such as phthalates, which can disrupt hormone function.
- Drain cleaners are designed to clear clogged drains. However, many drain cleaners contain harsh chemicals, such as lye, which can cause burns to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract.
- Floor and furniture polishes are designed to make our floors and furniture shine. However, many polishes contain harmful chemicals, such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can irritate the respiratory tract and cause headaches.
- Oven cleaners are designed to remove tough grease and grime from ovens. However, many oven cleaners contain harmful chemicals, such as lye, which can cause burns to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract.
- Dishwasher detergents are designed to clean dishes quickly and easily. However, many dishwasher detergents contain harmful chemicals, such as phosphates, which can pollute waterways.
It is important to read the labels of cleaning products carefully and avoid products that contain harmful chemicals. If you must use a product that contains harmful chemicals, be sure to wear gloves and a mask to protect yourself from exposure.
These products can release harmful fumes into the air, which can be inhaled by people and pets. They can also irritate the skin and eyes, and some have been linked to cancer.
If you are concerned about the health risks of toxic cleaning products, there are several things you can do to reduce your exposure:
- Choose eco-friendly cleaning products that are free of harmful chemicals. Eco-friendly cleaning products are made with natural ingredients that are safe for people and the environment.
- Open windows and doors when you are cleaning to ventilate the area. This will help to remove harmful fumes from the air.
- Wear gloves and a mask when cleaning with toxic products. This will help to protect you from exposure to harmful chemicals.
- Keep cleaning products out of reach of children and pets. Children and pets are especially vulnerable to the harmful effects of toxic cleaning products.
- Hire a non-toxic, eco-friendly cleaning company to keep toxic chemicals out of the air in your home and off surfaces to ensure you are not risking your family (or pet’s!) health.
By taking these simple steps, you can protect your family from the harmful effects of toxic cleaning products. Symptoms such as coughing, headaches, sneezing, skin rashes, stomach aches, and more may disappear once you stop using toxic cleaning chemicals. You will also be supporting a socially conscious business!
Scrubberr Eco-Clean is an eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning company that services Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Lincoln, Loomis, Fair Oaks, Carmichael, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, and surrounding areas. We use only the safest and most effective cleaning products on the market, and we are committed to providing our customers with a clean and healthy environment.
If you are looking for a safe and effective way to clean your home, contact Scrubberr Eco-Clean at 916-888-8399 today. We would be happy to answer any questions you have and provide you with a free consultation.